Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bad Day

Yesterday was probably one the the worst experiences of my life. As I said before I am taking a Winter Mountaineering class. Yesterday was our first trip out on the mountain. We were supposed to summit Bell Mountain in the Lemhi region. The hike started out great, but soon we encountered snow. The snow was slushy and icy. Every two steps, I sunk into the snow up to my waist. I was pulling myself out of the snow, crawling on hands and knees, just to fall back into the snow a few seconds later. This went on for about 2 miles, while trying to elevate a couple thousand feet. No biggie. I was frustrated, I was exhausted, I was angry. We got to a point where it's straight up the mountain over rock which is covered and surrounded by snow, ice, water, and loose rock. I was slipping and falling and scared out of my pants. My teacher said that it would pretty much be like that for the rest of the way...I gave up. I turned around and waited for the rest of my class to finish their climb and come back. The most embarrassing, frustrating, and painful experience ever. My legs are swollen and covered in giant bruises, my eyes are sunburned, and every muscle and bone of my body is in pain. So...that's my story...and I don't really want to talk about it anymore.



1 comment:

Tyler and Aubrey Hartley said...

Oh that sounds awful and frustrating! Stupid snowy mountain!