Saturday, October 8, 2011

Quatro Mas

In my attempts to keep busy and forget about the time, I also forgot to keep up the blog. Oops. And each day is starting to blur into the next one, so I hope my journals are accurate.

Wednesday (Sept. 28th): I assisted with the Par Cour obstacle course in the morning. Then I helped out with the Ranch Bootcamp class, which usually ends up with me doing the workout. It's one of my favorite classes. Learning things I can use in the future! Later I taught the circuit training class and sand volleyball. Sand volleyball isn't extremely popular around here, I'm lucky if there is enough people to pass the ball around with.

Thursday (Sept. 29th): Quail hike in the morning. I was the shepherd. Usually there are at least 3 people scheduled for the Quail hike because, in essence, it's actually 2 hikes in one. However, today there was just me and the lead, which made things kind of risky in a way because there were people out on another trail without a lead or a shepherd. These are things we talk about in my recreation classes and how programmers can avoid these risks. It's just kind of interesting to put that learning into practice. Then I taught Cardio Muscle Blast which is another one of my favorites, it's a great interval style workout. At lunch I made the afternoon announcements in the dining hall, and after lunch I met with Barry, my supervisor. Barry is kind of a different supervisor than any I've ever had. I really only see him occasionally when we cross paths. But he manages the fitness staff and programs well without being a "boss" per say. Sometimes I forget that he is my "boss" because he does a great job of not overpowering the staff. Lastly, I had open weight room to close the day.

Friday (Sept. 30th): In the morning I attended a yoga class. While yoga is not particularly my thing, it's a huge part of the fitness industry and I want to be familiar with it. Then I taught circuit training, and  I had water polo on the noodle. Water polo is another one of those activities that isn't very popular around here. It's rare that I get enough participants to have a game. Which is a bummer, because it's an activity I like to lead. Maybe one day the Ranch will get some younger guests. Afterwards I had open weight room.

Saturday (Oct. 1st): I had open weight room first thing in the morning and once again before lunch. Then I did the Navigator Program for new guests at the Ranch, helping them set up their week. I met with this lovely couple who were interested in Pilates and doing some meditation activities throughout the week, so I show them where those things are on the schedule and help them map out their week and answer any questions about fitness classes. Afterwards, I led the afternoon Woodlands hike because it was another "Saturdays at the Ranch" where we offer activities for people to come down from San Diego just for the day. It was nice and hot, but luckily it's just a 2 mile, flat hike.

Sunday (Oct. 2nd): Early morning Professor's hike, I was the middle person. This means I choose a spot somewhere in the middle of the hiking group and keep a moderate pace. This is helpful when the shepherd is much farther behind because of a slower hiker. I also was the assistant for the men's circuit training class, and then led the regular circuit training class. Sunday is always the introduction day to circuit class where we go through all of the machines and explain and demonstrate how to do them. It's always funny to see how much people actually remember from the introduction as they try to do the exercises during the circuit. Repetition, repetition, repetition. And then I had open weight room before I headed to San Diego to try and catch the last session of General Conference at a friend's house. I was also able to have dinner with her family at her Grandma's house, and we visited a girl in the hospital who is in the singles' ward I've been attending.

Monday and Tuesday (Oct. 3rd and 4th): I stayed with my friend Blair (who I took recreation classes with and who is doing her internship for the City of San Diego) in downtown San Diego. I walked around downtown and by the harbor (where I'm pretty sure I saw Cameron Diaz running). I also ventured to La Jolla to check out the Lululemon Athletica store. They sell extremely nice, and pricey, exercise clothing. Tons of guests are always wearing such cute clothes from there and I want some! I just wish the price tag wasn't so high. But while I was in La Jolla I strolled along the coast, taking pictures. And then on Tuesday me and Maria decided to be San Diego tourists because Maria is moving back to Washington and we both wanted to see some things while we are here. We visited Balboa Park and Pacific Beach and then went to dinner in "Little Italy" downtown.

Wednesday (Oct. 5th): I attended a Pilates Level 1 Mat class in the morning. Once again, I don't ever see myself teaching Pilates or getting extremely involved in it, but it's another thing that is large in the fitness industry and I should be aware of it and learn from some of it's techniques. Then I assisted with the circuit training class and afterward I met with one of the instructors to have a one-on-one instruction for cycling. I definitely want to teach cycling classes in the future so hopefully they will let me get some experience here. In the afternoon I attended a Yoga Sculpt class. This is a newer trend in fitness classes. It's a blend of yoga and weight training, using yoga poses with hand weights to add resistance. It was interesting, I liked it.

Thursday (Oct. 6th): Quail hike in the morning, I was a shepherd. I also led circuit class and had open weight room duty. Pretty simple, easy day.

Friday (Oct. 7th): I was the shepherd for the Alex's Oak hike. Then I taught Cardio Muscle Blast. I had a large group of like 8 people...usually I only get like 3 or 4. That's mainly because it's always on Friday and people are worn out by the end of the week. But this week I got some energetic participants and it was a lot of fun! In the afternoon I had water polo on the noodle and open weight room. Since nobody came to water polo, I watched an instructor L.A.B. circuit class to learn some new stuffand then I got in some good workout time.

Saturday (Oct. 8th): Today marks 10 weeks! Just 3 more weeks until Mom comes and then I'm out of here the next week. Exciting! This morning I led the Woodlands hike. I also taught circuit training. After lunch I have the Navigator program and tonight I will post the guest sign-up sheets for the new week. While I'm sure you all think I'm enjoying lovely warm Mexico while everywhere else turns cold, rainy, and even snowy...it's not true. The other morning I hiked when it was 40 degrees out and I've been using my heater the last couple of days with the high temperatures only being in the 60's and low 70's. I hope it doesn't get much cooler, because I didn't pack accordingly. Today is pretty beautiful however, 75 and sunny...I think I'll take an afternoon hike today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Momma Hartley is coming to see you?!?! NICE! I wish I could come visit you! I'd even let you kick my butt in one of your classes! : )

Joy said...

Yep I can't wait. You should go visit Lauren.