Sunday, September 4, 2011

Oh, Mexico...

It's back to the "grind" in Mexico. I know, I know, I have it pretty "cush" here...but it's not all it's cracked up to be somedays. I flew into San Diego on Friday and then I drove back to the Ranch Saturday night because I had been told that I had Saturday off. But I pick up my schedule last night on the way to my room and I was supposed to work...oops...too late now. Luckily, I was only scheduled for things like open weight room, and a couple other things that weren't highly requiring of my presence. I feel bad that I missed my shifts, but I also wasn't informed correctly and I can't really do anything about it now.
Today I had the Quail hike, I was leader of Quail 1 and I had some quick hikers, which was nice to be able to zoom through the easy hike. Then I audited the "Nia" (Knee-uh) dance class. Nia stands for Neuromuscular Integrative Action. It's kind of an African-based, low-impact dance that is supposed to be somewhat therapeutic. Honestly, I found it extremely strange and I didn't really enjoy it. There was a lot of "feel what your body wants to do" and strange flailing of the arms and such. Not my style. Afterwards, I attended the "Release and Mobilize" class. This class uses tennis balls to massage out tension and trigger points on the body. I had only heard rave reviews about the class from guests, so I thought I'd try it out. Once again, I have to be completely honest, I didn't like it. You just rub your muscles with a tennis ball, and I don't really think that's worthy of an entire class on it's own. Am I being too critical?
This afternoon I audited Zumba. I haven't been teaching Zumba these two weeks because there is a guest instructor here to teach it. So I went to her class today and it was pretty fun, pretty simple (it kind of has to be for the guests here). Every Zumba instructor is very different in their teaching, choreography, and their style...so its interesting, because my class is very different than hers. Then I had open weight room duty, so I did some lifting. And then one of the instructors was doing a private training session so I stayed and observed a little to get ideas, increase my knowledge, and learn from an experienced professional. That's what I'm here for, right?
Since I still have my usual days off (Mondays and Tuesdays), I'm heading up to San Diego in the morning for a girls' day with my Amber and Maria. Awesome!

1 comment:

kiki said...

i miiiiisss you!! but it sounds like everything is going great! annnnd i wanted to tell you....dun dun dun...we are staying here!!!!! micah is going to finsih up his genereals here and then we are going to go somewhere for him to do optomitry school! :)