Monday, August 29, 2011

Idaho?

Well...with the help of the Wright brothers and Southwest Airlines, I am currently sitting in Nampa, Idaho. Grandma left this world on Friday night and I took a little emergency trip home for the funeral. So, there will be no updates this week, but I wanted to catch up on the couple of days before leaving the Ranch.
Saturday morning I was the leader of the Woodlands hike, which is even easier than the Quail, it's more like a nature walk. But it's been extremely hot and never really cools down at night, so I came back drenched in sweat. Then I had open weight room duty, where I was planning to workout, but I was a bit in a mental haze from the bad news and the stress of the emergency travel plans. Next, I was assigned the first aid duty, which means I go through all of the first aid packs that are taken on hikes and make sure the supplies are replenished and I rinse and refill the water bottles that are used for wound cleaning. Once finished with that, I observed how the "Navigator Program" is run on arrival day (guests usually arrive on Saturdays). This program is great for brand new guests to the Ranch because they get to meet with a fitness instructor and look at the schedule for the week. At that point, they can schedule out their week, making sure to try and get what they want to achieve during their stay. And then, while I was sitting at lunch, one of the instructors invited me to go into town with her. Just what I needed! We went into Tecate and hit up the dollar store, got Mexican popsicles, went to the bakery, and she gave me a little tour of the town. That night I got my dinner to go and went to the staff lounge and watched a movie with another instructor.
Sunday morning I was the shepherd for the Quail 2 hike. Once again, I returned from the hike literally drenched in sweat because of the heat an humidity. And then I was the assistant for the 9:00 circuit class as well as the 10:00 circuit class. However, there were only a few people for the 10:00 class and the instructor that I was assisting knew I was catching a flight so he let me leave. That was great because I was able to get to Escondido for the last half of the singles' ward and then Amber took me to the airport. And now I'm home...in Idaho...weird.

No comments: