Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beach

Sorry for the delay in updates! I mean...I know you all check every day for a new post...right?!?! Just kidding.
But I have officially been here for THREE weeks, going on four. So let's catch up. Thursday I wasn't scheduled for hardly anything...in fact, only one thing. I just had open weight room duty in the afternoon. And then I attended a "Fitball" class, which is a class that uses an exercise ball for the entire workout.
Friday morning I headed up to Escondido to visit friends. Friday afternoon I went shooting at the shooting range (I know I just went shooting on Monday with Xanning's family...weird coincidence). That evening there were some people from Amber's singles' ward going on a night hike and then swimming at somebody's house, however, it ended up just being a movie night. Saturday morning Amber made me waffles, ran some errands, did a little shopping, and met Maria for lunch. After lunch I went to La Jolla cove...a very beautiful beach. Saw fish, crabs, seals (or sea lions? I don't know the difference) and swam and adventured through the rocks in the cove. That evening I ventured back to the border and returned to Mexico.
Today has been pretty busy. I had the Quail hike this morning. I was actually one of the leaders instead of one of the shepherds. To clarify, on the Quail hike, there is actually two hikes: Quail 1 and Quail 2...clever names, I know. So usually there is two leaders and two shepherds, but the entire group leaves together and then during the hike there is a split. Quail 2 is slightly harder, climbing up a small hill and adding an extra half mile while Quail 1 is an easy hike back to the Ranch. Today I was leader of Quail 1...I'm movin' up in the ranks! Ha.
But then after breakfast I assisted with a stretch class and the circuit training class. I like helping with the circuit class because the participants simply go from one machine/station to the next and I walk around and help them get set up and do the lift/exercise correctly. There are 25 stations, 1 minute at each station, 15 minutes of warm-up cardio before, and 5 minutes of stretching afterwards.
After lunch I was scheduled to audit the Pilates orientation because I'm also scheduled to audit a bunch of other Pilates classes this week. I told them I'd like to try it out, so we will see if I like it or not! Then I was also scheduled to audit the "Ay Caramba!" dance/aerobics class. Fun stuff...it was a Latin, salsa based routine. Now, you would think...isn't that Zumba? Zumba is choreographed to music and has moves that go with the song, and it incorporates a lot of international dances and music. So in this class, the instructor breaks down the parts of one main dance routine, adding on as we go, and then we eventually have one final, full salsa routine at the end. So it was interesting to see the different format.
It's really easy to forget that it's Sunday when you don't get to go to church, have to work, and aren't surrounded by family or friends that are Mormon. So I'm trying extremely hard to keep the Sabbath day holy in my heart, watching General Conference talks online, playing church music, etc.. But it's just not quite the same as going to a church building to feel the Spirit and partake of the sacrament. Maybe I will be able to ask for a Sunday off soon...but I am just the intern, so I'm pretty much the lowest person on the totem pole. Anyway...look forward to more updates this week! Nat, I'll be sure to go take some pictures just for you! ;)

3 comments:

Kainec said...

You forgot to mention that the movie was Beauty and the Beast!

Tyler and Aubrey Hartley said...

Miss you Heidster!!

Hartley Family said...

some of the classes you describe sound really fun!!! A wide variety! That's awesome. I love pilates. You'll have to say what you think about it.