Tuesday, August 9, 2011

California Getaway

Saturday was my official full week at Rancho La Puerta. And is it bad that I was already dying to get out? I know that it's this wonderful destination resort and all, but I was feeling extremely isolated, homesick, and lonely. Seeing as I don't have phone access due to roaming charges, I didn't really know anybody, and being stuck in the resort because I don't know my way around Tecate nor do I speak spanish. So, I officially had Monday and Tuesday off and I only had to go on a hike Sunday morning and I took the opportunity to go socialize with civilization!
Right after the hike I changed my clothes and headed out to get to Amber's singles' ward in Escondido, California. And I didn't really think I'd say this, but it was actually extremely wonderful to be in a mormon church building and be surrounded by people who believe the same things and to feel the spirit. (I know, gettin' all teary-eyed and sappy now...but it was a big deal!) After church I had dinner with Amber and her family. Homemade pizza and cookies. I was in heaven. That kind of food is like murder here at the Ranch! Afterwards we just hung out, watched a movie/went to bed (because I only lasted about 10 minutes before passing out). 
Monday I went and swam at the waterpark that Maria works at...yep...I went swimming by myself while Maria worked. Ha. But it was fun. Then we just hung out and talked when she was off and went to Amber's singles' ward FHE. FHE was a tri-ward pool party. So there was lots of singles and it was way fun! I even made some new friends! It was fun trying to explain where I lived, what I was doing, and why I was at an Escondido singles' ward, people got really confused. But it was so invigorating just to be surrounded by lively people who are my age.
And today I just watched TV while Amber was at work and then had a burrito and drove back to Mexico. It was a wonderful getaway and now I'm feeling refreshed and ready to get busy. Well, as busy as I can be at such a laid-back, relaxed place. But I'm feeling more confident and less "out of place" now, so things should get better. Week #1 down, 13 more to go!

1 comment:

Tyler and Aubrey Hartley said...

I'm so glad you got to get away. I bet it was a huge relief to see some familiar faces. It isn't weird at all to feel that way at church in a new place. I felt exactly the same way when we went to church out here last week. It was kind of like everything things else in my life has changed, and everything is unfamiliar, but the gospel is the same. The holy ghost can make anywhere feel like home. Miss you Heidster!