Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tanlines and Mormons

This morning I was the "shepherd" for the Quail hike once again. And once again, I took a nap after breakfast. This afternoon I taught Zumba and then headed to the pool to take "Aqua Ease" which was a nice stretching class in the water. Then I hung out by the pool for a bit, increasing the darkness of my tan lines. Perfect. After dinner this evening the Ranch had BINGO! I guess it's supposed to be a very exciting event...seeing as there aren't really any happening night activities around here. Funny thing is, I won a prize! Not because I got a BINGO, but because the announcer told all participants who had NOT won yet to stand, he then called a few numbers and people sat down as they had those numbers. Since I didn't have any of the numbers he called, I was the winner. I guess it's lucky to be unlucky. Who'd a thought?

Just in the few days I've been here at the Ranch where I'm pretty sure I'm the only Latter-Day Saint, I've had some interesting conversations. When people ask where I went to school, they immediately know that I'm a Mormon when I tell them Brigham Young University-Idaho. Well, I first have to explain that yes, there is a BYU in Idaho and not just in Utah. And then of course I get some interesting comments and/or questions regarding Mormons. For instance, just tonight at dinner I was talking with a guest instructor (meaning she is teaching fitness classes for just a week) and she couldn't understand why we don't drink coffee but eat refined flours and sugars. Interesting. She then kind of mocked me and my beliefs and I was caught a bit off-guard because I've never really had that happen before, having grown up in a fairly dense Mormon community and going to a church school. I have a feeling I will be having many more missionary-type experiences while I'm here.

No comments: