Friday, August 12, 2011

Rodents

If you've been reading my posts, you know that I already talked about the raccoon problem. Well, for a while I also thought there were raccoons on my roof at night. After multiple restless nights, I decided to call and have a staff member come and take care of them. He shows up to my room and tells me there's nothing on the roof...perfect. So I have come to the conclusion that there are either mice or rats (I'm pretty sure it's larger than a mouse, because he/she makes some very loud noises) or some other form of rodent in my wall and ceiling. At times I can here it climb up the wall and then I hear it scratching and what-not in the ceiling. Sometimes I can even hear squeaks and squeals. Ew. So in order to sleep peacefully I blast both of my fans at night in order to drown out the sound. Oye.
Anyway, today I led the Alex Oak hike. It was my first time leading a hike (I've always been in the back as the shepherd). It wasn't too bad, it's a hike that is specifically defined at "slower paced" so that people can take pictures, enjoy, the view, etc. In my opinion, there's not much to take pictures of or much view to look at. But what does this Idaho girl know! ;) And since the hike was all that I was scheduled for, why wouldn't I go back to bed for a nap after breakfast? And during my nap, that rodent in my ceiling must have been on my mind because I dreamt about mice eating through the walls and I was running around swatting them with a frisbee (why in the world would I use a frisbee...who knows). But I was pleased to wake up to a hole-less wall and no frisbees.
It is quite funny living in a different place. I'm sure all of the men who have served missions can attest to this. But some interesting things have happened in the short time I've been here. One morning I woke up to a lizard in between my screen door and my sliding glass door, almost stepped on him. I've also practically stepped on countless numbers of other lizards just walking to and from places here on the ranch. There are also bunny rabbits ALL over the place. Hundreds of them! I've also had a very large spider in my shower, who was a very good jumper, it was really hard to kill him. And one very important lesson I've learned is to always shake your towel out before wrapping it around your body. I'll never forget that one.

1 comment:

Elizabeth & Matthew said...

Sounds like you are having fun! I remember when I lived and home and we would get mice in our walls. It freaked me out and I would sleep on the couch. Hopefully that problem gets resolved soon. I do read your daily posts but don't always have time to comment. Keep up the good work posting your stories. I enjoy them!